Pumpkin Spice Up Your Life With This Fall Tea Latte Recipe
With the freshness returning to the morning air, and with the leaves starting to change colour, we are entering into that all-too-familiar time of year: pumpkin spice season. That’s right, fall is here and with it comes the craving for those warm, hearty, sweet, spicy flavours that suit the season oh so well. And the best part? The pumpkin spice flavours don’t have to be limited to coffee-based drinks. For those who opt for tea instead of coffee, Masala chai forms the perfect base for a pumpkin spice tea latte. Read on to learn about the benefits of chai as well as the recipe for this delicious autumn indulgence.
The Benefits of Masala Chai
Originating on the Indian subcontinent, chai is a black tea that is blended and mixed together with a blend of aromatic herbs and spices such as cardamon, fresh ginger, black pepper, ground cloves, cinnamon and fennel. When these ingredients are combined, they create a spicy, sweet, luxurious, deeply complex tea drinking experience. That said, chai is not only revered for its taste; this specific black tea has other benefits as well. The fresh ginger that’s found in Chair can help alleviate nausea and other digestive issues while the caffeine content can help to temporarily boost alertness and wakefulness. Typically, a cup of chai contains one sixth the amount of caffeine as a strong cup of coffee, so you can drink more without the negative side effects associated with too much caffeine.
The Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte
This recipe is courtesy of Oh How Civilized. See their version here >>
- 2 cups of any type of milk
- 3-4 tsp of Masala chai in a tea sachet
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extra
Pumpkin Spice Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch of salt
- In a saucepan on low heat, mix together the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add milk, brown sugar, and Masala chai sachets
- Steep chai for five minutes on low heat. Keep stirring with a whisk until pumpkin puree is completely incorporated into the milk.
- Take off heat and remove the Masala chai sachets
- Add vanilla extract.
- Serve and enjoy!