Recipe by Christine Scheer
This has been another one of the fantastic dishes that we did get to enjoy during our class with Christine Scheer. Christine is always very keen on using local, seasonal, and organic ingredients for her dishes.
- 1 flank steak, about 1 ½ – 2 lbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) black tea leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 Tablespoon (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In an electric spice( or coffee) grinder, or with a mortar and pestle, combine and process the tea leaves, ginger, cinnamon, coriander, brown sugar, and salt. Spread out on a plate and set aside.
- Lightly oil and heat a grill pan to medium high. Carefully ‘dip’ both sides of the flank steak into the rub. Use your hands to make sure it is rubbed well into the flank steak.
- Place steak on hot grill and cook to rare or medium rare, turning only once. When it is at desired ‘doneness’, remove from heat and place on cutting board. Cover with foil for 10 minutes so the juices have a chance to settle. Slice thinly against the grain to serve.
- Serve with pomegranate sauce drizzled on top. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
Pomegranate Sauce Ingredients:
1/2 cup (125 mL) pomegranate molasses
3 Tablespoons (45 mL) fresh orange juice
2 Tablespoons (30 mL) packed brown sugar
2 shallots, sliced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon (5 mL) finely grated orange peel
GARNISH 1 fresh pomegranate
Place all sauce ingredients in small saucepan, bring to the boil and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Enough for 1 flank steak.