Fall is here and as we wave goodbye to sticky humid afternoons and tan lines, we welcome the crisp air that promises cozy sweaters, movie nights, and the anticipation of the holiday season. Bring comfort to cold weather with these chai-spiced pumpkin bars. These bars require no baking, plus they’re vegan and gluten-free. If you’ve grown tired of the traditional pumpkin spice, give this inspired recipe a go!
What you need
First things first, gather your ingredients and carve out a sizeable space on your countertop to begin prepping the baked goods. Don’t forget that baking is chemistry and the ingredients should always be measured precisely!
Makes 9 large or 16 small squares
For the crust:
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup pitted dates, chopped
For the filling:
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1/3 cup maple syrup or coconut nectar (or to taste)
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon cardamom
3/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons coconut flour
Line an 8″x8″ baking pan with parchment paper so you can lift the bars out for cutting.
Your Step-By-Step Instructions
- Place the oats, pumpkin seeds, coconut, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Add 2/3 cup dates and process until well combined and sticky. The mixture may look crumbly, but it should hold together when pinched between your fingers. If necessary, add more dates to get the right consistency.
- Press the dough firmly and evenly into the baking pan. Place the pan in the freezer while you prepare the filling.
- To make the filling, combine the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, salt, and spices in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Add the coconut flour and blend until well combined. Adjust sweetener if desired.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and pour the filling on top, spreading it out evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Lift the bars out of the pan using the parchment paper edges. Use a chef’s knife to cut the bars, wiping the knife clean between cuts. Serve chilled.
- Enjoy with a cup of chai!
The Perfect Pairing – Sweet Chai
Pair your fall treats with a hot cup of sweetly spiced chai. The flavours will compliment one another and the hot tea will keep you cozy as the seasons change. The Sweet Chai blend is every chai lovers’ dream! One of our best-selling chai blends is naturally sweet so you can skip the sugar and indulge in your homemade chai-pumpkin bars.
CAD $4.75 per 50g