Turkish Apple Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Yield: 6 Portions
1 x 3 lbs butternut squash more or less, roasted until fork tender
3 cups brewed Turkish apple tea, brewed as per package instruction
3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock store bought or home made
1 cup apple sauce, store bought or home made
2 tbsp. butter
1 shallot diced very small
2 garlic cloves minced
1 star anise
1 bay leaf
½ lemon zest only
Ingredients for the drizzle:
½ cup sour cream
1 tsp. dried dill
2 tbsp. ½ and ½
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small glass jar and shake until smooth. Adjust seasoning to suit your own taste.
Preparation for the soup:
1. Melt the butter over medium heat and sauté the shallot, garlic, bay leaf and star anise for about 5 minutes.
2. Add all the other ingredients and bring to a simmer.
3. Simmer over low heat for about ½ hour.
4. Remove the star anise and the bay leaf.
5. Puree the soup until silky smooth.
6. Add the lemon zest and adjust the seasoning. It might need a little salt.
7. Serve hot and garnish with the drizzle just before serving.